Very easy jam to make. This recipe can be used for making raspberry jam, and strawberry jam. Just use the 1:1 ratio, with fruit, and sugar.
- 500ml Wild Blackberries (squeezed and flattened with a potato masher)
- 500ml Sugar
- In a large bowl, crush the blackberries with a potato masher, until all the juice has seeped out of the blackberries skin.
- Pour mashed blackberries into a measuring jug. Measure quantity of wild blackberries in milli-litres. Then measure the same amount of sugar in milli-litres. Both blackberries and sugar must measure the same amount in milli-litres.
- Boil the blackberries in a big pan to boiling point, then reduce heat to medium flame. Add sugar, continuously stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Then boil until it reaches setting point, for 45 to 60 minutes. Test jam every 10 minutes until it reaches the sheet test. Do not cover the pan with a lid.
- Sheet Test – Test 1 teaspoon of jam on a cold plate or place plate in the fridge until cold. Then tilt plate. Jam is ready when it runs off the plate as a sheet.
- Prepare jam jars – Sterilise jam jars in an oven or sterilise with boiling hot water.
- Pour jam into jars whilst hot and seal with lid.