This is a very creamy vegetable lasagne, acquired from the Bechamel Sauce. Can use any vegetable for this Lasagne.
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 5 Garlic Cloves chopped finely
- Black Pepper Powder
- 2 Onions
- Vegetables – optional vegetables: Courgettes, Spinach, Carrots (grated), Spring Onions, Bell Pepper, Green Peas, Fennel, Aubergines, Sun Dried Tomatoes.
- 1 tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 100g Butter
- 100g Flour
- ¼ teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- 1200ml hot or cold Milk
- 300g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Grate the carrots. Cut the rest of the vegetables into chunky pieces. Peel and finely cut the onions.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan. Fry 5 bay leaves and thyme for 1 minute. Then saute the finely chopped onions and grated garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix in all the vegetables. Season with salt and black pepper. Stir together until everything is incorporated. Cook for 2 minutes. Then pour in one tin of chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer until the juice of the tomatoes is reduced. May take up to 10 minutes. Then take off heat and put aside. Remember to dispose of the 5 cooked bay leaves.
- Next step is to make the Bechamel Sauce. This will give the lasagne its creamy taste. Melt butter in a large pan and add equal parts flour, constantly mix together. Cook for at least 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper and grated nutmeg. Mix together. Then pour in the hot or cold milk. Keep stirring until hot, and the sauce thickens, but not too thick, just a bit runny and creamy. Do not allow milk to boil over. Add ½ to 1 cup of grated cheese to the white sauce. Mix together and immediately take off heat.
- Now to make the lasagne. In a large oven dish, evenly spread a thin layer of Bechamel Sauce.
- Cover with one layer of lasagne sheets. Then spread a layer of tomato and vegetable sauce.
- Cover with one layer of lasagne sheets. Then evenly spread a layer of Bechamel Sauce. Sprinkle on top with grated cheese. Again evenly spread a layer of tomato and vegetable sauce.
- Cover with one layer of lasagne sheets. Then finish by evenly spreading a layer Bechamel Sauce. Sprinkle on top with loads of grated cheese.
- The lasagne is ready to be placed in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown at 190°C or 375°F.
- Take the lasagne out of the oven, and allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.