- 1 packet of Red Kidney Beans (500g)
- Vegetable Cooking Oil 5 tablespoons
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- Puree Tomatoes (5 tomatoes blended)
- Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- 1 Green Chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 cup of Fresh Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 cup of Fresh Mint leaves chopped
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- 8 Pepper Corns
- 1 black Cardamom
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- Cumin Powder ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder ½ teaspoon
- Mango Powder 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Soak red kidney beans overnight for quicker cooking time. Then boil red kidney beans in a pressure cooker, until kidney beans are soft, for approximately 30 – 40 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil in a pan. Fry Bay Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Black Cardamom, Cinnamon Stick, Pepper Corns, Cloves on a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add chopped onions, ginger paste, garlic paste and fry on a medium heat for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Cut tomatoes in 4 to 8 sections, then put in an electric blender and blend the tomatoes until the tomatoes are purée.
- Add blended tomatoes to the pan followed by finely chopped green pepper, and chopped Coriander leaves. Stir until blended. Then add Garam Masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, mango powder, 1 tsp sugar, and stir. Cook until oil is separated from tomato paste. Takes about 20 minutes.
- Add beans with the bean water, that the beans were boiled in and add a cup of water to cover the top of the beans. Add salt to taste and stir well. Simmer on low heat for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked. During cooking add freshly chopped mint to give added taste.
Ingredients for cooking the rice to have with the Red Kidney Bean Masala:
- Basmati rice 1 cup
- Water 1 ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice several times until water is clear.
- Boil 1 cup of rice with 1 ½ cups of water. Add salt to taste.
- Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Then turn down heat to a low heat until cooked. Takes about 20 to 30 minutes.