- 1 packet of Red Kidney Beans (500g)
- Olive Oil 5 tablespoons
- 2 Onions finely chopped, then blend in an electric blender
- Puree Tomatoes (5 tomatoes blended)
- Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- 1 Green Chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 cup of Fresh Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 cup of Fresh Mint Leaves chopped
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- 8 Pepper Corns
- 1 black Cardamom
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- Cumin Powder ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper Powder ½ teaspoon
- Mango Powder 1 teaspoon
- Castor Sugar 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Soak red kidney beans overnight for quicker cooking time. Then boil red kidney beans in a pressure cooker, until kidney beans are soft, for approximately 30 – 40 minutes. Then put aside for the masala.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Fry Bay Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Black Cardamom, Cinnamon Stick, Pepper Corns, Cloves on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add blended onions, ginger paste, garlic paste, finely chopped green pepper and saute on a low to medium heat for approximately 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Cut tomatoes in 4 to 8 sections, then put into an electric blender and blend the tomatoes until the tomatoes are purée.
- Add blended tomatoes to the pan followed by chopped Coriander leaves. Stir until blended. Then add the seasonings, Garam Masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper powder, mango powder, 1 tbsp castor sugar, and stir. Cook until oil is separated from tomato paste. Takes about 20 minutes.
- Add beans with the liquid, that the beans were boiled in and add a cup of water to cover the top of the beans. Add salt to taste and stir well. Simmer on low heat for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked. During cooking add freshly chopped mint to give an added taste.
Ingredients for cooking the rice to have with the Red Kidney Bean Masala:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1½ – 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice several times until the water is clear.
- Boil 1 cup of rice with 1 ½ cups of water. Add salt to taste.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then turn down heat to low heat until cooked. Takes about 20 to 30 minutes.