- 500g Red Beans soaked overnight for quicker cooking time
- Unrefined Sunflower Oil ×4 tablespoons
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- Plain Flour
- Caribbean Coca (this is a type of Jamaican vegetable potato)
- Sweet Potato
- Carrots ×2 diced
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- Potato ×3
- ½ cup Green Beans chopped
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper ½ teaspoon
- Coconut Cream Powder 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable Packet Soup ×1
- Boil red beans in fresh water in a pressure cooker. Boil for 30 to 60 minutes until red beans are soft when squeezed. NB: Some brands of red beans take longer than others to cook.
- While red beans are cooking, make the dumplings with 3 cups plain white flour, 1 cup fine cornmeal, salt to taste and add small amounts of water at a time while mixing the dough until ingredients come together and not too wet. Knead the dough until well mixed together. Take a golf ball size or smaller size of dough and knead dough for 2 minutes then roll into a ball and flatten dough with both hands, and keep repeating until all dough is used.
- Peel skin of Coca, yam, sweet potato, potatoes and cut into medium size pieces.
- In a large pot, add cooking oil and fry chopped onions until translucent (not brown) for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add vegetables to the pot, sweet potatoes, caribbean coca, yam, potatoes, carrots, green beans, stir and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add Salt and black pepper, stir together with the vegetables for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked red beans to the pot and the water the beans were cooked in. Boil on a high heat to boiling point, then add the dumplings, thyme, and coconut cream powder. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Ready to serve.