Pumpkin Filling Ingredients
- 1 whole medium Pumpkin
- 1 egg
- Sweetened Condensed Milk 150g
- Grated nutmeg 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 200g (7oz) Plain Flour
- 2 tablespoons Icing Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 large Egg or 2 small Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Cold Water
- 100g (4oz) Cold Butter (unsalted)
- Bake whole pumpkin in the oven for approximately 45 minutes until skin is brown and the inside is soft.
- Prepare Pastry: In a large bowl, add 200g plain flour and a pinch of salt.
- Cut 100g cold butter into small pieces first. Add butter to flour, and then rub the butter into the flour, squeezing the mixture together until it looks like crumble.
- Add 2 tablespoons of icing sugar in the crumble mix and stir in, using a round-bladed table knife.
- Prepare egg mixture: Crack the one large egg into a jug and beat lightly with a fork. Then add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 2-3 tablespoons water. Mix with fork.
- Then add half of the egg mixture to crumble mix. Stir with a round end table knife. Add more egg mixture, until the crumble mix sticks together.
- Using your hands, bring the crumble mix together to form a soft ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm, then place in the fridge for 35 minutes. This is to allow the dough to be colder, and easy to manage when rolling out.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and remove the cling film. Roll dough into a circle to fit dish, on a flour sprinkled work surface, until it is big enough to fit the oven dish. Use a knife to cut off the edges on top of dish and make a pattern with a spoon around the edges.
- Preheat oven 200C / 400F / gas mark 6.
- Prepare Pumpkin Filling: When the pumpkin is cooked allow pumpkin to cool down. Then take off skin and clean out the seeds inside. Cut pumpkin into small chunks.
- Put the pumpkin pieces into blender with condensed sweetened milk, a beaten egg, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Place the pumpkin mixture into the dish on top of pastry. Smooth out the pumpkin mixture until evenly spread.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until top is brown.