Pumpkin Filling Ingredients
- 1 whole medium Pumpkin
- 1 egg
- Sweetened Condensed Milk 150g
- Grated nutmeg 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 1 ½ teaspoons
- 300g Plain Flour
- 2 tablespoons Icing Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 large Egg or 2 small Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Cold Water
- 150g Cold Butter (unsalted)
- Cook Pumpkin first: Bake the whole pumpkin in the oven for approximately 45 minutes until skin is brown and the inside is soft. NB: Baking the pumpkin will keep the flavour and will have less water. Otherwise can boil the pumpkin, but peel the pumpkin first, then cut into pieces and boil in water for 20 minutes until pumpkin is soft.
- Prepare Pastry: In a large bowl, add 300g plain flour and a pinch of salt.
- Cut 150g cold butter into small pieces first. Add butter to flour, and then rub the butter into the flour, squeezing the mixture together until it looks like crumble.
- Add 2 tablespoons of icing sugar to the crumble mix and stir in, using a round-bladed table knife.
- Prepare egg mixture for pastry: Crack one large egg into a jug and beat lightly with a fork. Then add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 2-3 tablespoons water. Mix with fork.
- Add half of the egg mixture to crumble mix. Stir with a round end table knife. Add more egg mixture, until the crumble mix sticks together.
- Using your hands, bring the crumble mix together to form a soft ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm, then place in the fridge for 35 minutes. This is to allow the dough to be colder, and easy to manage when rolling out.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and remove the cling film. Roll dough into a circle, on a flour-sprinkled work surface, until it is big enough to fit the oven dish. Use a knife to cut off the edges on top of the dish and make a pattern with a spoon around the edges.
- Preheat oven 200C / 400F / gas mark 6.
- Prepare Pumpkin Filling: When the pumpkin is cooked allow pumpkin to cool down. Then take off skin and clean out the seeds inside. Cut pumpkin into small chunks.
- Put the pumpkin pieces into an electric blender with 150g condensed sweetened milk, a beaten egg, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Place the pumpkin mixture into the dish on top of the pastry. Smooth out the pumpkin mixture until evenly spread.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until top is brown.