This is a creamy potato dish.
- 1 kg or 2.2 lbs Potatoes (peel, and cut into thin slices)
- 125g or 1¼ cup freshly grated Cheddar Cheese
- Freshly grated Nutmeg
- 300ml or 1¼ cup Double Cream
- Sea Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 15g Butter (this is to base the ovenproof dish)
- Use a shallow ovenproof dish, very well buttered.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Butter the ovenproof dish all around the inside.
- Then put one layer of peeled and thinly sliced potatoes in the buttered dish.
- Season the layer with grated nutmeg, black pepper powder, salt, then grated cheese.
- Put another layer of sliced potatoes. Season each layer with grated nutmeg, black pepper powder, salt, then grated cheese.
- The last layer of potatoe slices, pour over the cream and sprinkle any remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Potato Dauphinoise is ready to serve. Serve with cooked green vegetables.