Lacto-fermented beetroot kvass is very good for vegetarians. Very good for digestion and detoxifying. Beetroot is very rich in a substance called betaine. Betaine is an amino acid that has been shown to have potential benefits for fighting Heart Disease, improving body composition, and helping promote muscle and fat loss because of its abilities to promote Protein synthesis in the body.
Betaine is a derivative of the nutrient Choline; in other words, choline is a “precursor” to betaine and must be present for betaine to be synthesized in the body. Betaine is created by choline in combination with the amino acid glycine. Just like some B vitamins, including folate and vitamin B12, betaine is considered to be a “methyl donor.” This means it aids in liver function, detoxification and cellular functioning within the body. It’s most crucial role is to help the body process fats.
- 1 Beetroot (chopped into small pieces)
- ¼ to 1 cup of Home-made Liquid Whey
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt or 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Water (Use unchlorinated water eg still bottled water, or filtered water or rainwater. Do not use tap water because it contains chlorine)
- Make homemade liquid whey. Pour yoghurt into a cheesecloth, placed over a bowl. Drain the whey from yoghurt overnight.
- Chop beetroot into small chunks.
- In a container, add beetroot, salt, homemade whey, and then fill with water just below the top to allow gas to escape. Seal with lid. Shake liquid to mix together.
- Leave container on side counter for 2-3 days, occasionally shaking each day.
- On the 3rd day, partially open lid, to release gas then close the lid. Then store in the refrigerator. Can keep for 3 months.
- To drink, strain beetroot kvass, because of the beetroot pieces. Drink with meals.