Jollof Rice is a rice dish, cooked with peppers, tomatoes, and onions, enjoyed by many African countries, Nigeria is one of them. This recipe is simple and easy to follow. You will be guaranteed jollof rice, extremely delicious and full of flavour.
- 4 cups Rice
- 4 fresh Tomatoes or 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
- 2 Red Onions
- 1 tube Tomato Purée
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- 3 Vegetable Knorr Stock Cubes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Seasoning
- Jug of Water
- Cut 2 bell peppers, 2 scotch bonnets, 1 red onion, 4 tomatoes into small chunks and put into an electric blender with a little water to help with the blending process. Blend until smooth, then put aside for cooking later.
- Finely dice 1 red onion. Then add ½ cup oil in a large pan. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onions. Cook on a medium heat until translucent.
- Then add a three-quarter amount of tomato purée from the tube. Cook with the onions for 5 minutes on medium heat. Keep stirring frequently. Frying the purée removes the bitter taste. Will give it a smoky, distinctive rich taste.
- Once the purée has fried, add the blended tomato sauce and stir in well.
- To season the sauce, add 3 bay leaves, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp dried thyme, 3 Knorr vegetable stock cubes, 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning. Stir in well. Cover with lid. Simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- While the sauce is cooking, wash the rice to remove starch. Wash rice several times until the water turns clear. This will prevent sticky jollof rice.
- After 15 minutes the sauce is ready when the sauce has thickened slightly and can see oil on the top.
- Add the washed rice. Stir until the rice is incorporated into the sauce.
- Next, add water to the pan to cover the rice, so the water should be just above the level of the rice. Do not pour in too much water as this will lead to soggy jollof rice. Cook on a very low heat for over 1 hour. After cooking for 20 minutes, stir the rice from the bottom up. Then after another 20 minutes stir the rice from the bottom up. Then leave to steam. After an hour, test rice is cooked.
Can make your own tomato purée, to make the jollof rice, just click here.