These are delicious curry flavoured vegetable patties that can be found on all of the Caribbean islands. Try serving them with some rice and peas, a fried dumpling or just as a snack on their own.
Alternatively, can use the vegetable filling to make samosas. Buy a 30 pack of ‘Spring Roll Pastry Sheets’ at the supermarket, then use the sheets to wrap 2 teaspoons of vegetable filling into a samosa. Use the spoon to push into the triangle sheet. Seal samosa with homemade gum made with flour, salt, and water. Then fry the samosas in 1 inch of cooking oil, until brown on both sides for 3-5 minutes.
- 8oz /226g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder or yellow food colouring to enhance the colour
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 Maggie Cube (crushed into a powder)
- 1½ oz / 43g Butter
- ½ oz / 14g Lard or Beef Tallow
- ¾ cup of Cold Water
- 1 beaten Egg for glazing
Method For Pastry
- In a large bowl, combine flour, curry powder, Maggie cube and a pinch of salt. Rub in the butter and lard with fingers, until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in a small amount of water at a time, and mix with a round ended knife. Pour in more water until mixture forms a ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave in the fridge for 1 hour until the dough is firm.
- Then shape dough into a log, and cut into 5 equal sections.
- Roll each section into a circle (approximately 6 inches) and set aside.
- 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
Method For Making Gum: Take 2 tablespoons of plain flour in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Mix together. Add a little water and make a smooth batter. The consistency of this batter is like gum.
Ingredients For Filling
- Vegetables diced into small cubes: Potato, Sweet Potato, Green Peas, Carrot, Cabbage, Tomato, Bell Pepper, Sweet Corn etc
- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 2 Stock Cubes or (2 Maggie Cubes) crush into a powder
- 1 oz/20g Ghee or (3 tablespoons Coconut Oil)
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1-2 Red Chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 3 oz. Fresh Bread Crumbs – (NB: Breadcrumbs soak up gravy. Toast bread to crumble.)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Method for filling
- Melt ghee in a deep pan, over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until soft and translucent, then stir in diced vegetables.
- Season with the 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp thyme, 2 stock cubes, salt, and pepper.
- Cook vegetables on low to medium heat. Cover with a lid and steam, until evenly cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Then stir in the breadcrumbs. Simmer until gravy is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- While vegetables are cooling down, take the dough from the fridge. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 5 equal parts.
- Roll each section into a circle (approximately 6 inches).
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle. Brush the pastry edge with the homemade flour gum and fold in half, pressing the edges together to seal. Use a fork to press edges. Make holes with a fork on top of Patti. Brush the top of each Patti with beaten egg, for glazing. Place patties on a baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 392°F (200°C) gas mark 6.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Alternatively can use spring roll pastry sheets.