- 100g (4 oz) butter or margarine at room temperature (do not use any low fat varieties)
- 100g (4 oz) Caster Sugar
- 450g (16 oz) Self-Raising White Flour
- 50g (2 oz) Dried Mixed Fruit (or Glace Cherries or Sultanas)
- A little Butter or Margarine to grease the baking tray
- A little Milk (about ¼ pint (5 fl oz)
- 1 × Baking tray
- Pastry cutters
- Tea Towel
- Weighing Scale
- mixing bowls
- measuring jugs
- rolling pin
- pastry cutters
- Pre-heat the oven 200C/400F /Gas Mark 6 (160C fan)
- Measure butter and flour into a bowl.
- Rub the flour and butter together using your fingertips.
- Measure the sugar and add to the flour and butter, stir.
- Add the mixed fruit and stir.
- Add themilk a little at a time, using a round bladed knife to mix gently.
- Add milk until you have a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead very lighltly and then press out into a thickness of about 1½ / 2/3 cm). Cut out the scones using a cutter and place them on the prepared baking tray. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until they are a pale golden brown. Turn onto a cooking rack.