Home » Vegetable food
Category Archives: Vegetable food
- Rice 1 cup
- Cooking Oil 5 table spoons
- Butter or margarine 1 tablespoon
- Onions (medium chopped)
- Peas (¼ cup)
- Carrots x 1 (diced)
- Green Beans (½ cup)
- Corn Kernels (¼ cup)
- Green Pepper (chopped)
- Sugar ½ teaspoon
- Cabbage optional
- Water 1 ½ cups
- Sultanas 2 tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Tumeric 1 teaspoon
- Garlic 2 cloves chopped finely
- Ginger 1 inch chopped finely
- Bay Leaves ×2
- Cinnamin ×1 stick
- Salt to taste
- First, soak 1 cup of rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pan with oil until hot and fry the cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon stick for 1 minute. Then add garlic, ginger and chopped onions. Fry onions until translucent for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and sauté vegetables on a medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add salt, and turmeric powder to vegetable mix.
- Add rice without water. Stir in with the vegetables on a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add saltanas, butter, sugar and 1 ½ cups of water. Simmer until cooked, for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until rice is soft.
- Puloa is ready to be served.
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 orange (orange rind and orange juice)
- Barley 1 cup (soak overnight)
- cooking oil (5 tablespoons)
- garlic (finely chopped) 2 cloves
- oinions (chopped) 1 large
- green peas 1/2 cup
- carrots (chopped) x 2
- potatoes (chopped) 3 medium potatoes
- green beans (chopped) cup full
- 3 finely chopped cabbage leaves
- Tumeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Cayenne Pepper Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Yellow Mustard Powder 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- 2 Maggie Cubes
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Soak a cup of pearl barley in water over night for quick cooking time, then drain water.
- Add 5 table spoons of cooking oil in a pot. Fry chopped garlic in oil for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and fry until translucent.
- Add chop vegetables, carrots, chopped green beans, 3 finely cabbage leaves, peas, chopped potatoes and fry for 3 minutes. NB: any vegetable can be added for choice.
- Add salt, 1 teaspoon Tumeric, 1/4 teaspoon Red Cayenne pepper powder, 2 cubes Maggie, 1 teaspoon yellow Mustard powder and black pepper. Mix spices with vegetables and after 3 minutes add drained barley. Mix well with the vegetables. Then add 4 cups of water. Boil for 15 minutes until cooked.
- In a separate pot, add 1 table spoon of oil and fry cumin seeds, fennel seeds, in a pan until crackles for 1 minute. Add to soup and stir. This is to add flavour to soup. Garnish with chopped fresh Coriander leaves.