- 500 grams Plain Strong Flour
- 1 teaspoon Yeast
- 320 ml warm Water (1 part hot to 2 parts cold water)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 ½ Sea Salt
- In a large bowl add 500g plain flour and 1 ½ tsp sea salt. Mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a jug add 1 tbsp sugar, and 100ml hot water. Mix until sugar dissolves, then add 200ml cold water. Mix in 1 tsp of yeast into the warm water. Allow yeast to froth for 15 minutes. Mix again and then immediately use. NB: if using fast action dried yeast, do not need to mix with water, just add fast action dried yeast to flour, with salt and sugar and mix dry ingredients together, then add 320ml of warm water.
- Add 320ml warm water to flour in small amounts at a time until flour sticks together, forming into a dough. On a work surface, knead dough for 15 minutes, stretching and kneading motion.
- Return dough to the bowl. Cover bowl with a damp cloth. Allow dough to rise for 2 hours.
- Shape dough by pulling sides to undersides to shape into a dome. Place dough on a flour-dusted baking tray. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow dough to rise again for an extra 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 8/230°C/Fan 210°C.
- Place the tray with the dough in the oven for 30-35 minutes until baked.