- Vegetable Oil 2 tablespoons
- Onion 1 large
- 1 Green Chillie (chopped finely)
- Dahl 1 cup soak in water for 30 minutes
- 4 Beetroot (chopped into ½ inch squares)
- Spinach 1 bunch
- Fresh Mint Leaves 1 cup
- Grated Coconut 1 tablespoon
- Ginger Paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder ½ teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Powder or Sesame Seeds 1 tablespoon
- In a little vegetable oil, fry cumin seeds until it crackles for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium flame, then add chopped onions. Sauté for 3 minutes until it is translucent.
- Add chopped chillies, ginger paste, garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add Turmeric powder, Garam Masala powder, and soaked Dahl with a cup size of dahl water it was soaked in. Simmer for 1 minute with the lid on.
- Clean and cut the beetroot into 1/2 inch squares, then add to the pot with salt to taste. Cook with the lid on for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped Spinach and a cup of freshly chopped Mint leaves. Simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes
- Add fresh grated Coconut and Sesame Seeds. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Ready to serve. Can serve with rice or potatoes.