- Barley 1 cup (soak overnight)
- Vegetable Oil (5 tablespoons)
- Garlic (finely chopped) 2 cloves
- Onion ×1 large (chopped)
- Green Peas ½ cup
- Carrots (chopped) ×2
- Potatoes ×3 medium sized (chopped)
- Green Beans 1 cup (chopped)
- 3 finely chopped Cabbage Leaves
- Turmeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Cayenne Pepper Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Yellow Mustard Powder 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- 2 Maggie Cubes
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds ¼ teaspoon
- Soak a cup of pearl barley in water overnight for quick cooking time, then drain water.
- Add 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pot. Heat on a medium heat until hot. Fry chopped garlic in oil for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and fry until translucent for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables; carrots, chopped green beans, 3 finely chopped cabbage leaves, peas, chopped potatoes and fry for 3 minutes. NB: Any vegetable can be added for choice.
- Add salt to taste, 1 teaspoon Tumeric powder, ¼ teaspoon Red Cayenne pepper powder, 2 Maggie cubes, 1 teaspoon yellow Mustard powder and Black Pepper. Mix spices with vegetables and after 3 minutes add drained barley. Mix well with the vegetables. Then add 4 cups of water until covers the top of vegetables. Boil for 15 minutes until cooked.
- In a separate pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and fry cumin seeds, fennel seeds, until the seeds crackle for 1 minute. Add this mixture to soup and stir. This is to add flavour to the soup. Garnish with chopped fresh Coriander leaves.